- AcuFocus announced new power ranges for its IC-8 small aperture IOL. The IC-8, which is a clear, aspheric monofocal lens with an embedded mini-ring or pinhole in the center, now offers power ranges from +10.0 D to +30.0 D, in 0.50 D steps. For additional information about the IC-8 IOL, visit www.acufocus.com.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals shared positive, topline results for its Phase 2 clinical trial evaluation of AR-1105 (dexamethasone intravitreal implant) in patients with macular edema associated with retinal vein occlusion. Results demonstrated positive and sustained treatment effects with both formulations of AR-1105, as shown by increases in best corrected visual acuity and reductions in macular edema.
- jCyte announced results from a Phase 2b study of jCell therapy in patients with retinitis pigmentosa. Results showed jCell was well-tolerated in patients and demonstrated “encouraging evidence of potential benefit.” Based on this study, jCyte plans to initiate a pivotal study in 2021; data from the study was presented at the ASCRS virtual meeting on July 25.
- MicroOptx completed enrollment for the initial phase of U.S. pivotal clinical trial for the Beacon Aqueous Microshunt. Study participants will be followed to evaluate safety and IOP reduction. The implantable Beacon device controls IOP by shunting aqueous humor directly to the tear film rather than an enclosed space inside the eye.
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of Miami Health System was named the best hospital for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report. This is the 19th time and the 17th consecutive year that Bascom Palmer Eye Institute has received this distinction.
Quick Notes is published weekly. Unless otherwise noted, the information presented is based on press releases. Find earlier editions here. To submit a press release to be considered for publication, click here.